Gordon C. Everstine
- computational mechanics
- structural acoustics and fluid-structure interaction
- structural dynamics
- finite element method
- B.S. in Engineering Mechanics, 1964, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
- M.S. in Engineering, 1966, Purdue University, Lafayette, IN
Major: Engineering Sciences; Minor: Electrical Engineering
- Ph.D., Applied Mathematics, 1971, Brown University, Providence, RI
Dissertation: "Stress Concentrations and Boundary Layers in Fiber-Reinforced Materials"
Adviser: Allen C. (Jack) Pipkin (1931-1994)
- 1979-present, Professorial Lecturer in Engineering, The George Washington University, Washington, DC
- 1969-2001, Scientist (Computational Mechanics), David Taylor Model Basin, Naval Surface Warfare Center, Carderock Division, Bethesda, MD
- 1968-1969, Engineering Duty Officer, U.S. Navy
- 1964-1966, Member of Technical Staff, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc., Indianapolis, IN
- David W. Taylor Sigma Xi Research Award (1983) for "original contributions to the understanding of fluid-structure interaction"
- Washington Academy of Sciences Scientific Achievement Award in the Mathematical and Computer Sciences (1984) for
"advances in finite element techniques for mechanics problems"
- Fellow, Washington Academy of Sciences (1984)
- U.S. Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award (1988)
- NASA's Douglas Michel Achievement Award (1989) for "a technical contribution which has been of significant value in the
advancement of the aerospace technology program of NASA"
Note: The documents below should be printed with no page scaling.
Recent Courses at The George Washington University
Related Links and Notes
- MAE/CE 6207 - Theory of Elasticity
Introduction to Cartesian tensors; deformation, stress, constitutive relations for linear elasticity;
formulation of boundary value problems; variational principles; torsion and bending of prismatic rods; plane problems.
Spring 2014 Course Outline and Assignments (1/09/14, 191KB, 9 pages)
Elasticity (Lecture Notes) (5/11/14, 1.1MB, 118 pages)
- ApSc 6213 - Analytical Methods in Engineering III
(Partial Differential Equations)
Analytical techniques for solution of boundary-initial-value problems in engineering;
wave propagation, diffusion processes, and potential distributions.
Fall 2012 Course Outline and Assignments (7/22/12, 152KB, 9 pages)
Analytical Solution of Partial Differential Equations (Lecture Notes) (12/11/12, 1.4MB, 127 pages)
- ApSc 6212 - Analytical Methods in Engineering II (Linear Algebra)
Algebraic methods appropriate to the solution of engineering computational problems; linear
vector spaces, matrices, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, quadratic forms.
Spring 2010 Course Outline and Assignments (1/01/10, 152KB, 9 pages)
Applications of Linear Algebra (Lecture Notes) (6/05/10, 769KB, 101 pages)
- MAE 6286 - Numerical Solution Techniques in Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Development of finite difference and finite element techniques for solving
elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic partial differential equations.
Fall 2009 Course Outline and Assignments (8/09/09, 178KB, 10 pages)
Numerical Solution of Partial Differential Equations (Lecture Notes) (1/21/10, 1.1MB, 109 pages)
Other Courses Taught at The George Washington University
Schedule of Classes
Code of Academic Integrity
- Acoustics and vibration animations (D. Russell, Pennsylvania State U.)
- Mechanics demonstrations (torsion) (S. Govindjee, U. California, Berkeley)
- Interesting mechanical engineering videos (mechanicalebook.com)
- Math demonstration programs (J. Feldman, U. British Columbia)
- Wolfram Mathworld, Wolfram Alpha Computational Knowledge Engine (Wolfram Research)
- Linear algebra links from The Math Forum (Drexel U.)
- Linear algebra demonstrations (MIT)
- MacTutor History of Mathematics Archive (J. O'Connor and E. Robertson, U. St. Andrews, Scotland)
- History of Mathematics (D. Wilkins, Trinity College, Dublin)
- Gilbert Strang's 1999 MIT lecture videos on linear algebra (35 50-minute lectures)
- Gilbert Strang's 2008 MIT lecture videos on Computational Science and Engineering I (49 50-minute lectures)
- Gilbert Strang's 2006 MIT lecture videos on Computational Science and Engineering II (29 50-minute lectures)
- Gilbert Strang's essay "Too Much Calculus" (G. Strang, MIT, 2001, 2 pages)
- Some disasters attributable to bad numerical computing (D. Arnold, U. Minnesota)
- Brachistochrone demonstration (Alexey Ivanov, Russian Academy of Sciences)
- Elastic Analogies (G. Everstine, 4/26/04, 101KB, 10 pages)
- Symmetry (G. Everstine, 4/28/04, 82KB, 6 pages)
- Free compilers:
GNU Fortran G77 for Win32
Fortran 95 (G95)
GNU Fortran 95 (gfortran)
GNU C and C++
Microsoft Visual C++ Express
- Free Matlab clones:
- Free LaTeX software for typesetting mathematical documents: MiKTeX
- Free software for making PDF files:
- Piled Higher & Deeper (a grad student comic strip by Jorge Cham)
- ApSc 6211 - Analytical Methods in Engineering I (Complex Variables)
Engineering applications of the theory of complex variables: contour integration, conformal mapping,
inversion integral, and boundary-value problems.
- CE 252 - General Structural Dynamics
Analysis of single and multiple degree of freedom structural systems under steady-state and transient loads;
response of discretized structural systems such as rigid frames, plates and thin shells under dynamic loads.
- EngS 284 - Numerical Methods in Engineering
Eigenvalue problems. Numerical solution of systems of equations and ordinary differential equations. Solution techniques
for elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic partial differential equations. Numerical methods for solving finite element
equations. Introduction to solution of fluid-flow problems.
- EngS 285 - Finite Element Methods in Engineering Mechanics
Calculus of variations. Variational formulation of the finite element method. Weighted residual techniques.
Computer implementation of the finite element method. Application to problems in heat transfer, stress analysis,
fluid flow, and structural analysis.
- G.C. Everstine and T.G. Rogers, A Theory of Machining of Fiber-Reinforced Materials, J. Composite Materials, Vol. 5, pp. 94-106 (1971).
- G.C. Everstine and A.C. Pipkin, Stress Channelling in Transversely Isotropic Elastic Composites, J. Applied Mathematics and Physics (ZAMP), Vol. 22, pp. 825-834 (1971).
- G.C. Everstine and A.C. Pipkin, Boundary Layers in Fiber-Reinforced Materials, J. Applied Mechanics, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 518-522 (1973).
- G.C. Everstine, A NASTRAN Implementation of the Doubly Asymptotic Approximation for Underwater Shock Response, NASTRAN: Users' Experiences, NASA TM X-3428, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Washington, DC, pp. 207-228 (1976).
- G.C. Everstine, Comment on `On Symmetries and Antisymmetries in Solving Vibration Problems Using High Precision Finite Elements', J. Sound and Vibration, Vol. 52, No.1, pp. 143-144 (1977).
- H. Huang, G.C. Everstine, and Y.F. Wang, Retarded Potential Techniques for the Analysis of Submerged Structures Impinged by Weak Shock Waves, in Computational Methods for Fluid-Structure Interaction Problems, edited by T. Belytschko and T.L. Geers, AMD-Vol. 26, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, pp. 83-93 (1977).
- Y.P. Lu, J.W. Killian, and G.C. Everstine, Vibrations of Three-Layered Damped Sandwich Plate Composites, J. Sound and Vibration, Vol. 64, No. 1, pp. 63-71 (1979).
- G.C. Everstine, A Comparison of Three Resequencing Algorithms for the Reduction of Matrix Profile and Wavefront, Int. J. Num. Meth. in Engrg., Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 837-853 (1979).
- Y.P. Lu and G.C. Everstine, More on Finite Element Modeling of Damped Composite Systems, J. Sound and Vibration, Vol. 69, No. 2, pp. 199-205 (1980).
- G.C. Everstine, Structural Analogies for Scalar Field Problems, Int. J. Num. Meth. in Engrg., Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 471-476 (1981).
- G.C. Everstine, A Symmetric Potential Formulation for Fluid-Structure Interaction, J. Sound and Vibration, Vol. 79, No. 1, pp. 157-160 (1981).
- H.C. Neilson, G.C. Everstine, and Y.F. Wang, Transient Response of a Submerged Fluid-Coupled Double-Walled Shell Structure to a Pressure Pulse, J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., Vol. 70, No. 6, pp. 1776-1782 (1981).
- G.C. Everstine, Finite Element Solution of Torsion and Other 2-D Poisson Equations, Tenth NASTRAN Users' Colloquium, NASA CP-2249, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Washington, DC, pp. 153-164 (1982).
- J.C.S. Yang, N. Dagalakis, G.C. Everstine, and Y.F. Wang, Measurement of Structural Damping Using the Random Decrement Technique, The Shock and Vibration Bulletin, Bulletin 53, Part 4, pp. 63-71 (1983).
- G.C. Everstine and E.H. Cuthill, The Optimal Ordering of Tree Networks, Computers and Structures, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 621-622 (1983).
- G.C. Everstine and M.S. Marcus, Dynamic Response Prediction for Structures with Frequency-Dependent Damping Treatments, Paper ESP22/85022, 22nd Annual Meeting, Society of Engineering Science, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania (1985).
- G.C. Everstine, Dynamic Analysis of Fluid-Filled Piping Systems Using Finite Element Techniques, J. Pressure Vessel Technology, Vol. 108, No. 1, pp. 57-61 (1986).
- G.C. Everstine, Grid-Point Sequencing, Part 4, Section 3.2 in Finite Element Handbook, edited by H. Kardestuncer and D.H. Norrie, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, pp. 4.177-4.183 (1987).
- G.C. Everstine, Symmetry, Part 4, Section 3.3 in Finite Element Handbook, edited by H. Kardestuncer and D.H. Norrie, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, pp. 4.183-4.190 (1987).
- G.C. Everstine, Treatment of Static Preload Effects in Acoustic Radiation and Scattering, Sixteenth NASTRAN Users' Colloquium, NASA CP-2505, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Washington, DC, pp. 138-152 (1988).
- G.C. Everstine and F.M. Henderson, Coupled Finite Element/Boundary Element Approach for Fluid-Structure Interaction, J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., Vol. 87, No. 5, pp. 1938-1947 (1990).
- G.C. Everstine, Prediction of Low Frequency Vibrational Frequencies of Submerged Structures, J. Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 113, No. 2, pp. 187-191 (1991).
- J.H. Kane, S. Mao, and G.C. Everstine, A Boundary Element Formulation for Acoustic Shape Sensitivity Analysis, J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., Vol. 90, No. 1, pp. 561-573 (1991).
- S.A. Hambric and G.C. Everstine, Acoustic Intensity Calculations for Finite Element Fluid-Structure Interaction Problems, Fluid-Structure Interaction, Transient Thermal-Hydraulics, and Structural Mechanics, PVP-Vol. 231, edited by C.Y. Wang, F.J. Moody, and Y.S. Shin, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, pp. 23-29 (1992).
- G.C. Everstine and R.S.-C. Cheng, The Coupling of Finite Elements and Boundary Elements for Scattering from Fluid-Filled Structures, Computer Technology - 1992 - Advances and Applications, PVP-Vol. 234, edited by R.S. Gallagher and G.M. Hulbert, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, pp. 43-47 (1992).
- G.C. Everstine and E.W. Brooks, Comments on 'Finite Element Analysis of the Quarter Scale Advanced Double Hull Design', Naval Engineers Journal, Vol. 107, No. 4, pp. 151-153 (1995).
- G.C. Everstine, Transient Fluid-Structure Interaction Using Finite Elements, in Fluid-Structure Interaction and Structural Mechanics - 1995, edited by C.Y. Wang, PVP-Vol. 310, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, pp. 77-84 (1995).
- G.C. Everstine, Finite Element Formulations of Structural Acoustics Problems, Computers and Structures, Vol. 65, No. 3, pp. 307-321 (1997).
- G.C. Everstine, G.C. Gaunaurd, and H. Huang, Acoustic Scattering by Two Submerged Spherical Shells: Mutual Validation on the Normal Mode Series and B.E.M. Solutions, Proceedings of the ASME Noise Control and Acoustics Division, NCA-Vol. 24, edited by T.M. Farabee, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, pp. 67-73 (1997).
- G.C. Everstine, G.C. Gaunaurd, and H. Huang, Acoustic Scattering by Two Submerged Spherical Shells: Numerical Validation, J. Computational Acoustics, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 421-434 (1998).
- G.C. Gaunaurd and G.C. Everstine, Viscosity Effects on the Propagation of Acoustic Transients, J. Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 124, pp. 19-25 (2002).
- G.C. Gaunaurd and G.C. Everstine, Energy Radiated by a Point Acoustic Dipole That Reverses Its Uniform Velocity Along Its Rectilinear Path, J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., Vol. 113, No. 2, pp. 735-740 (2003).
- G.C. Gaunaurd and G.C. Everstine, Elasticity Solution for an Axially Compressed and Encased Cylindrical Specimen, Int. J. Mech. Sci., Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 116-121 (2007).